THE 2019-20 ISPE ONLINE APPLICATION
OPENS - MONDAY, APRIL 15, 2019 @ 8:00 AM
Thank you for your interest in the Independent Study Physical Education (ISPE) program. For 2019-20, all student applications must be completed online by the May 31st deadline. There will be no late applications accepted. All the necessary information is included on this website.
We support and appreciate after-school activities, and we encourage students to participate in them. For the most part, outside sports do not take the place of the regular physical education class, which offers diverse activities in the context of a cooperative classroom environment and meets the California Physical Education requirements. Students are encouraged to participate in the on-campus physical education program, especially at the 7-10 grade levels.
While our primary recommendation is that all students participate in the district physical education program, we do offer an ISPE program for students who:
1) are exceptionally gifted, state or regionally ranked athletes,
2) wish to take an advanced level in a physical education course that the district is not currently offering,
3) have an impacted schedule due to special academic support programs or a specialized elective that they need to take each year during the regular school day which precludes them from taking a regularly scheduled PE class,
4) have medical conditions which prevent them from taking regular PE, or
5) have fulfilled the high school graduation PE requirement and seek further elective credits.
An independent study course requires personal accountability and maturity. Students in ISPE will be responsible for fulfilling all of the requirements of the ISPE contract, which include completion of all workout logs, and submission of all reports. Individuals are selected based upon their ability to handle the individual responsibility.
Please understand that due to the independent nature of the program, a large part of the grade (pass/fail) that the student receives will be based upon his/her accomplishment of the agreed objectives, and his/her communicating this information to the site ISPE Coordinator in a timely fashion.
If you would like to apply for ISPE, you must meet the above criteria and complete and submit all of the required materials below by May 31, 2019 at 3:30 pm.